Committee Mission Statement
To dramatically improve the safety and well being of all individuals traveling [by various means] throughout the town of Norfolk. Particular emphasis is placed in the areas of sidewalk conveyance, street lighting, and signage, focusing on child and pedestrian safety.
The Norfolk Road Safety Committee (RSC) currently consists of four Board of Selectmen appointed Norfolk resident members and a number of assigned town liaisons or available consultants, who the RSC members graciously thank for their valuable support, time and contributions.
* The RSC has the consulting support of Norfolk resident Mario Damiata, who is with the local National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTA) office here in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Butch Vito – Norfolk Highway Department
Chief Stone – Norfolk Police Department
Committee Goals and Objectives
· Improve Road Safety & Plan for Safe Community Development
· Address Pedestrian Safety Issues (incl. Bicycling/other Recreational)
· Safe Pedestrian Links to our Schools/Library/“Youth Centers”, as well as Town Center, T-station
· Implement Safe Links to our Recreational & Conservation Areas
· Support Proactive town planning to address the need for new sidewalks in support of a developing Norfolk.
· Propose that the Town of Norfolk adopts/supports a Plan for Sidewalk Expansion over the next 5/10 years.
What the Committee Goals mean for Norfolk Residents
· Improved highway safety for all especially children and seniors
· Reduced traffic related injuries and cost savings
· Positive impact on economic development
· Improved walkability of community
· Integrated transportation and land use planning
· Improved quality of life