Skip Navigation
Town of Norfolk Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.
Town Calendar

Blackboard Connect
Town Clerk
Contact Information:
Contact TypeContact Information
Town Clerk
Asst. Town Clerk
Town Clerks Office
One Liberty Lane
Norfolk, MA 02056
Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 6:00pm
You can find us in the Town Hall by entering through the parking lot door and we are the first office on your left.
Additional Links:
Link to PageLink to PageLink to Page


Mission Statement: Often considered the gateway to local government, the Office of the Town Clerk exists to ensure the integrity of municipal government through the administration of electoral, legislative and record keeping processes. The Clerk's Office adheres to a high code of standards and is dedicated to building trust in Municipal government. We strive to promote a courteous, service oriented team who provides positive professional interaction with elected officials, staff and the general public.


Absentee ballots are available in the Town Clerk's Office for the Annual Town Election

The last day to register to vote for the Annual Town Election on May 2, 2017
and Annual Town Meeting on May 9, 2017 is
April 12, 2017 - The Town Clerk's Office will be open until 8PM for voter registration

Norfolk's Annual Town Election will be held on May 2, 2017
at the Freeman Kennedy School - Polls will be open from 7AM until 8PM

Candidates for available seats are:

Board of Assessors - one 3 year term: write in
Board of Health - one 3 year term: Frances Sullivan
Constable - one 3 year term: Paul Terrio (candidate for re-election)
Library Trustee - one 3 year term: Glenn Hill (candidate for re-election)
Planning Board - two 3 year terms: John Weddleton (candidate for re-election), Gregg Damiano, Kevin Kalkut, Jerome Reinhart
Recreation - two 3 year terms: Brendan Carty, Mark Edwards
School Committee/Norfolk - two 3 year terms: Jeff Curry (candidate for re-election), Paul Cochran Jr. (candidate for re-election)
School Committee/King Philip: Kenneth Dow, Tariq Siddiqui
Board of Selectmen - one 3 year term: Jeff Palumbo (candidate for re-election)
Town Clerk - one 3 year term: Carol Greene (candidate for re-election)

For a chance to meet the candidates and ask questions in a moderated forum:

Annual Town Meeting will be held on May 9, 2017, 7PM
at the King Philip Middle School


Norfolk's #1 dog for 2017

Thank you to all who entered their pooches in the annual #1 Dog License fundraiser. Every year during our licensing period the Town Clerk's office holds this fundraiser to help the stray, injured or neglected animals that are in my department's care. For each $10 donation you get a chance to have your dog take a chance at accessorizing their collar with the #1 license in Norfolk.  This year the fundraiser raised $400 to help those animals that need extra care. Congratulations to Virginia Greaves. One of her dogs will now be Top Dog for 2017.  

- Hilary Cohen

****** Dog licensing information******


Dog licensing begins mid December in the Town of Norfolk. Your dog's license is good for the calendar year. You can pay for your dog license by either mailing a check made payable to the Town Of Norfolk and a self addressed return envelope to: 1 Liberty Lane Norfolk MA 02056 or you can pay in person at the Town Clerk's Office. Late fees will begin to be added on to the licensing fee as of May 1st.

Town Bylaw's on Dog registration:
Dog License, Spayed/Neutered – $10.00 each*
Dog License, not spayed/not neutered – $15.00 each*

The license fee is waived for our residents 70 years and over with proof of age.
* proof of current rabies is still required *

5 or more dogs requires a Kennel License. Kennel Licenses may require Zoning Board approval prior to licensing

*Dog late fee for license renewal after May 1st as follows:
A late fee of $15.00 for the month of May and an increase of the late fee by $5 per month
through the end of the calendar year for a maximum fine of $50 charged by owner.
Late fees are in addition to licensing fees and violations.


Some of the duties of the Town Clerk's Office are:

To record and preserve all vital statistics: births, deaths, and marriages.

Administer the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local committees and boards.

Oversight of our polling place, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections. The Town Clerk is the Chief Election Officer for the Town of Norfolk.
Directs the preparation of ballots, voting equipment, voting lists, certify nomination papers and initiative petitions.
Conduct voter registration and absentee balloting.
Conduct the annual town census, prepare the street list of residents.
Record and certify all official actions of the Town and keeps the Town Seal.
Records state tax liens and Uniform Commercial Code filings.
Submits by-laws and zoning ordinances to Attorney General for approval.
Issues licenses for raffles and bazaars, business certificates, fuel storage permits and dog licenses.

To better serve the needs of the residents of Norfolk, we offer Notary Public services.
Notary Public services are available during office hours. The individual who is having their signature notarized must have proper identification. All documents to be notarized must be signed in the presence of the Notary.



You can obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate, death certificate, or marriage license in person, by written request including a check for $10.00 per copy and a self addressed stamped return envelope, or online through the Town Clerk's Online Store. Please note: additional information is required for restricted birth and marriage records. See below.


Access to restricted birth and marriage records is limited by §2A, Chapter 46, MGL For those persons with access to restricted records, proof of identity (a photo ID) is necessary, and in some cases additional documentation is also necessary. Access to persons other than listed below require a court order.

For internet orders you will need to additionally fax a copy of the ID to the following number: (508) 541-4157. For mail orders, include your ID and documentation (if necessary) with your order form. Please provide information on your fax as to when and how your order was placed.

Out-of-Wedlock Births
Access to non-marital (out-of-wedlock) births is limited by §2A, Chapter 46, MGL  to the following:
Subject of the record (child)
Parents listed on the record
Father not listed on the record with documentary proof that he is the father (such as a paternity adjudication, stipulation or properly completed Voluntary Acknowledgment of Parentage)
Legal guardian of the child
Legal representative of the child

Marriages of Person Born Out-of-Wedlock

Access to marriage certificates when the bride or groom was born out-of-wedlock is limited by §2A, Chapter 46, MGL to the following:
Bride or groom
Legal representative of the bride or groom
Parent or guardian of the bride or groom


Absentee Voting

Massachusetts allows voters to vote by absentee ballot if they:

  • will be absent from your city or town on election day, and/or
  • have a physical disability that prevents your voting at the polling
  • place, and/or
  • cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs.

You may have an absentee ballot mailed to you or you may vote here in our office when absentee ballots are available.

To be counted, a completed ballot must be received by the time the polls close on Election Day.

If you are voting from outside the United States, your completed absentee ballot for a final state or city election can be received up until 10 days after the election, but must be postmarked on or before Election Day.

Note: A family member of a person qualified to vote by absentee ballot may apply in the same manner for you.

For more information on absentee voting, please click here: Absentee Voting Informaion

Massachusetts General Laws 110 § 5, states that any person conducting business under any title (business name) other than the real name of person conducting the business must file a Doing Business As certificate with the Town Clerk’s Office. A person is defined as an individual, a partnership or a corporation.
Exemptions to filing are allowed under section 6 if the corporation is doing business in its true corporate name, or if a partnership is doing business under any title, which includes the true surname of any partner. Certain other exemptions exist for trust and limited partnerships.

      - Print a DBA license form for the Town of Norfolk  Forms
A DBA license in Norfolk is $50.00 for 4 years.

Marriage Licenses

All Persons who marry in Massachusetts must have a Marriage License issued in Massachusetts. The age requirement in Massachusetts is 18 years of age and can only be waived with a Court Order.

To apply for a Marriage License both parties must appear together to complete the Marriage  Intention unless:
  •  Either party is in the Military and unable to appear and either party is a resident of Massachusetts.
  •  Either party is ill and the illness is confirmed in writing by a  Physician.
  • Either party is incarcerated in a County or State House of  Corrections.
The fee for filing Marriage Intentions in Norfolk is $40.00.

Once the filing is complete there is a 3 day waiting period before the license can be issued.  This can only be waived with a court order. The marriage license is valid for 60 days and must be used within that time period or returned to the Town Clerk's office where it was issued. The member of the Clergy or Justice of the Peace who performs the ceremony must sign the license and return it to the Town Clerk's office where it was issued. Once the license has been completed and returned, it will be filed with the State Registry of Vital Records and also, will be on file in the Town Clerk's office where it was issued.

Certified copies of Marriage Certificates are available upon request for a fee of 10.00 per copy.
Raffle Permits

Although Massachusetts General Laws prohibit most forms of gambling in the Commonwealth, an exception is made under Chapter 271, Section 7A for certain non-profit organizations that wish to raise funds through raffles and bazaars.  Organizations meeting the criteria outlines in the law may aply for a permit from the City/Town Clerk where the raffle drawing or casino night will take place.  

The permit application fee in Norfolk is $25.00.  

A permit will be issued only after approval of the application by the Town Clerk and the Chief of Police. The permit is valid for one year from the date of issuance.  An unlimited number of raffles, but only three bazaars (casino nights) may be held within the duration of the permit.

Gross proceeds of raffles and bazaars are subject to a 5% Massachusetts excise tax on wagering.  Proceeds must be reports to the Lottery Commission and taxes paid within ten (10) days after each event.  The Lottery Commission will send the appropriate tax reporting forms to the sponsoring organization.  Addition forms can be obtained by calling the Lottery Commission at 781-848-7755.

At the end of the permit's validity, and before a renewal permit can be issued, an Annual Report must be filed with the City/Town Clerk.  The report must list all income and expenses associated with raffles and bazaars for the duration of the permit, as well as the names and addresses of participants who won prizes valued at $25.00 or more.  The report must be signed by the members of the organization listed on the original permit application, as well as the organization's accountant.
Organizations holding raffle/bazaar permits are responsible for adhering to the regulations outlines in Chapter 217, Section 7A.  There are additional regulations in 940 CMR 12 for raffles in which the value of prizes exceeds $10,000 or in which the ticket price exceeds $10.00. Bazaars (casino nights) are also governed by 940 CMR 13.  Questions about these regulations can be directed to the Lottery Commission at 781-848-7755.

Gas Storage
Massachusetts General  Law requires a license be issued for any person storing or using flammable liquids on their property (MGL 148 § 13).

Any business intending to store flammable liquids must apply to the Selectmen for the intial permit. Once the permit is approved by both the Selectmen and the Fire Chief, renewals are completed through the Clerk's Office.



Where can I get voter information?
      - Mail in Voter Registration Form printable form
      - Register to Vote   information here
      - Absentee Voting   forms available here

Where do I go to vote?
Voting in Norfolk is held at the Freeman Kennedy School - 70 Boardman St.
Polling hours are 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Where do you hold Town Meetings?
Town Meeting is usually held at the King Phillip Middle School - 18 King St. but may alternately be held at the Freeman Kennedy School - 70 Boardman St. Please feel free to call the Town Hall if you need information.

How do I contact Animal Control?
You can reach the ACO through the police department at 508-528-3206

Who do I contact for mosquito spraying?
Norfolk County Mosquito Control at 781-762-3681

Where do I get a passport?
The Norfolk Town Library is where you would go to apply for a passport, please call 508-528-3380  for an appointment.

How do I get a sticker for parking at the old Town Hall?
The Selectmen's office handles the stickers for MBTA parking at the old Town Hall. Please contact them at: 508-440-2855

Where do I pay my water bill?
Water, excise, and tax bills can all be paid at the Treasurer Collectors office located on the main floor of the Town Hall. You can contact them at 508-520-0058

Does Norfolk have residential trash pick-up?
The town of Norfolk does not have residential trash pick-up. Please call the DPW at 508-528-4990 for information on purchasing a sticker for the Transfer Station, or you can hire a private disposal company locally for pick-up at your home.

Why do I have to fill out the town census?
The annual Town Census is conducted on January 1st as required by Massachusetts State Law. Data collected from the census is used to publish an annual street list of residents containing information on residents over the age of seventeen.  Failure to return the census can result in inactive voter status and  loss of proof of residency should you require it.

Where can I get help with food, rent, or fuel assistance?
For the food pantry, you can contact the Emmanuel Baptist Church at 508-528-5862 
You may be able to recieve help with rent, utilities, or fuel assistance by contacting
the Council on Aging at 508-528-4430 or you can pick up an application for help from Norfolk Together at the Town Clerk's Office.

How Can I find out what recreational activities there are in Norfolk
Norfolk has some really fantastic rec programs, you can find everything you need right here: Norfolk Recreation

Where can I get more information on the Homestead Act?
You can find everything you need at the Registry of Deeds:  information here

Do I need a permit for a yard sale?
The Town of Norflk does not require you to get a permit for a yard sale. Please refer to the Town of Norfolk Bylaws, Article IX Sign Regulations for questions about yard sale sign placement.

Norfolk Town Hall, One Liberty Lane, Norfolk MA 02056  Phone: 508-528-1408
Website Disclaimer | A Virtual Town Hall and Schools Website